Sunday, December 5, 2010

Give Me My Sulfates!

I couldn't find a single website for complaints against sulfate free shampoos, so I created one.

I've been using sulfate free shampoo for 6 months - ever since getting a Keratin treatment.  I also color and highlight my hair.

I used to get compliments (from stylists as well as friends) about how healthly and shiny my hair looked.  Not anymore.  The breakage I've experienced makes my hair look dull because of it's split-ends and fly-away appearance.  Thinking I was over-highlighting my hair, I stopped this process.  I also changed to a non-ammonia hair color.  Nothing changed.  The breakage has been unbelievable.

Using a sulfate free shampoo leaves my hair feeling like hay or straw.  It's so dry and knotted/tangled that I have to use ALOT - I mean ALOT of conditioner to be able to comb out after washing.  Trying to work the sulfate free condtioner through my hair is another chore and will clog the drain with the hair that breaks during this process.  My wet, conditioned hair still feels like straw and is basically a knotted mess.  Combing out takes much longer and no matter how gently and carefully I do this, my comb fills with broken-off hair.

I've tried several brands of sulfate free products both salon and over the counter.  It didn't matter.  The results were the same.  I have to used so much sulfate free conditioner to be able to get even my fingers through my hair, I was buying 2 bottles of conditioner for every 1 bottle of shampoo.  I was advised by my stylist to use a wide toothed comb and be very gentle when combing out after shampooing.  I followed every bit of advice and spent so much money on special combs, brushes, leave-in and/or rinse-out products that I'm sure I could have used that money to take a nice weekend vacation somewhere.

I QUIT!  I've gone back to using sulfate shampoo and conditioner.  My hair looks and feels SO MUCH BETTER!.  The breakage has all but stopped. The shine is slowly returning to my hair.  It no longer takes 5 full minutes to comb out after a shampoo and I'm not clogging the shower drain anymore.

I refuse to use sulfate free products from now on.  I know they are supposed to be "bad" for both humans and the environment but check out http://www.snopes.com/ on this subject.  It's a "rumor dispersing website" - very reputable. 

I'm curious to find out if any one else has had problems like this and I welcome your opinions.

4 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more! I used to use this really nice tea tree shampoo by Paul Mitchell called "Tea Tree Special Shampoo" and it was the most invigorating feeling! My hair felt so clean and fresh afterwards, it made my head tingle. Then paranoia started setting in because of all the nasty rumors I heard about sulfates and how they stripped your hair of its natural oils and how "drying" it was. My hair seemed fine, but I was afraid because I didn't want to encounter hair loss years down the road. I actually changed not only my shampoo, but my soaps and toothpastes, too. I was determined to go completely sulfate-free. I've been using this shampoo now called "Giovanni Triple Tea Tree Treat" for a week weeks now and at first I thought it was working pretty well, but lately it is terrible. My hair NEVER feels clean! I always feel like I have this greasy residue built up on the top of my scalp. Even while I am massaging it into my scalp, it never feels like it is cleaning it, and I never feel like I can rinse it out completely. It just feels like this sticky mess all over my head. My hair literally feels like I massaged a jar of mayonnaise into it. I don't know if it's normal or not because pretty much everyone else out there that wrote a review about the product said that it works wonderfully, but I did not have any such luck. Maybe because my hair/skin is already so naturally oily that it needs to be a little stripped? I don't know, but this stuff was awful. I don't think I could try sulfate-free shampoos again. I'm going to go back to the way things were before because my hair never looked better. I never experienced any of the scalp or skin irritation that other people claimed about the sulfate shampoos. Maybe they just have sensitive skin? I don't know...but I do think sulfate-free products are overrated for sure. I am SOOOO GLAD I found your blog because I thought I was the only one who felt this way. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I googled the exact phrase, "Sulfate Shampoos Suck" after literally trying seven (yes, 7!) different sulfate free shampoos. I won't deny that they do help extend my hair color, but the sticky (!) build up and extra long drying times (because of the gunk coating the hair shaft) are truly insane. Last night I gave up and used an old favorite shampoo with sulfates. The difference is unbelievable. For the record, the least offensive of the sulfate free bunch was Desert Essences Raspberry, Lemon or Green Apple shampoos and Living Proof's "Perfect Hair Day" - in the future I may alternate these with my other favorites. If you do hot yoga or work out regularly, Sulfate-Free shampoos just can't keep up with your need to be clean and smell free. Typically, I shampoo twice a week if I can. Sulfate free meant that I had to shampoo every other day, and even then my long, thick, hair and scalp did not feel clean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keratin is the type of protein that makes up your hair keratin, skin, and nails.Keratin is a protective protein, less prone to scratching or tearing than other types of cells your body produces.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you’ve got a round face, you probably also have fuller cheeks and an overall youthful look. Whilst we think all face shapes are beautiful, we understand it’s also fun to play around with your features, so we’ve asked our Colour Maestro and face makeup for her top tips on how to sculpt and define your features using makeup for a chiseled look that still complements your natural beauty.

    ReplyDelete